Wednesday 4 January 2012

A Week of Birthday Celebrations (Part Two)


Actual Birthday Day

Feeling just like I did when I turned 10 years old, I woke up early and excited because today was the day that was my birthday! After a sleepless night of tossing and turning; anticipating the events of the day ahead, wishing and wishing that I had grown at least an inch or 2, and having high expectations to feel “different” now that I am officially a year older.


I shook Jonny to wake him up and he shot downstairs and came up with a delicious Bacon sandwich with a side of ketchup (of course!). I found a voicemail on my phone from my Nana (she had been awake from even earlier than me?!), and shouted Happy Birthday and then informed me that she wouldn’t be able to speak to me throughout the day and listed off everything she was doing, that would keep her from speaking to her favourite grandchild on such a special day: Charming!


Jonny presented me with a cookie cake from Millie’s Cookies, covered in red icing- my favourite!! It is probably one of the most delicious things I have eaten in the whole wide world!! I was so temped to eat it all there and then, then told myself I didn’t want to spend the rest of my birthday passed out in a Sugar Coma! So we put the cake out of reach and got dressed as Muma Voce was on her way!




The doorbell rang and I shooted down the stairs (I slid down the last third!), and opened the door! A wonderful surprise, as instead of Muma Voce, my Nana and her dog were stood there, my Nana’s arms flung around me before I really had a chance to take in that she was here… and not at a Doctor’s appointment with Grandad, or having tea and biscuits with her friends like she had LIED to me on the phone!! Isn’t she just so sneaky!! Then I looked outside, and there was mum helping Grandad out of the car. He is quite a heavy man, and her muscles are defs growing now she helps him get up quite a lot! A fabulous arm work out!

Nana and Grandad had never seen my Yorky York house before and I had to explain that students are quite messy and as we have such busy university schedules and spend a lot of time in the library studying, it can be difficult at times to ensure the washing up is all done at all times! (Thanks muma Voce for the pre-warning that they would be coming by the way!)

My sister had sent me a beautiful bouquet of Lilies and Roses as she couldn’t make it to Yorky York that day… and this was just the start of the gifts!!


My nana had brought me some UGG Boots already as my birthday and Christmas present, but she let me have them early as it is so cold in Yorky York, practically being in Scotland! So I wasn’t expecting anything from her! But then she whipped out a gift bag full of Soap and Glory things (my favourite) AND had made me a cake!! (Sneaky Nana, again!! She spoils me too much, but I am her favourite Granddaughter, and Cicely isn’t: Uncle Jamie you need to remind her of this please!!)




Then my mum started handing me gift after gift after gift! Lots and lots of little bits and bobs, most of which she had got during our summer holiday in France… I thought she had just gone a bit OTT on a French theme (as she really wishes she was French) and I suppose the Paris-esque theme is quite trendy at the moment! I had an Eiffel tower snow globe, an Eifell tower make up bag; she had even made me a canvas collage of Paris pictures and French words. My Aunty Sue even joined in with the French theme and got me a little jewellery dish, with an Eiffel tower pattern… How I did not guess my main present I do not know!

I WAS GOING TO PARIS!!!! WITH MY BEST FRIEND KATE!!! HOW EXCITINGGG!!

I have always wanted to go to Paris, and even though we have been to France every year since I can remember, I had never been!



I was so, so, so excited about Paris, I couldn’t focus on opening any more presents (why are there more presents when Paris is a big enough present in itself!?) But my mum encouraged me to open another present from Aunty Sue… which was a very good shout… a ticket to…
DISNEYLAND PARIS!!!


Ok, so it was my 21st birthday, and on the adverts it’s the little children that get excited about going to DisneyLand… but I am little, and I’ve never been! My little sister’s 12 and has been about a billion times, and it just looks so fun!! Mickey Mouse and Cinderella greeting you, rides, eating a burger whilst having a chat with Hercules… what more could you possibly want?!





I was definitely very spoilt and very, very lucky to have such lovely, thoughtful Aunty Sue’s and Muma’s!

We spent the rest of the afternoon eating the feast that my mum brought with her: onion bharji’s, bacon potato skins, tortillas and dips, celebrations…. You can only imagine what deliciousness we demolished! We were chatting and laughing; mum thought it was necessary to bring up what an ugly toddler I was, and how she was embarrassed to take me out! Nana added that I was a bit of a gawky 11 year old too! Brilliant! Jonny and Tabby thought this was very amusing! Personally, I like to forget about my “gawky” 11 year old days, thank you very much!

The fam left, and the 3 of us watched a bit of Countdown (I got an 8 letter word!! “Gradient”) and continued devouring the celebrations that my mum left (along with the 2 tubs that our estate agents brought us for Christmas!)




In the evening, Jonny and I walked into town and had dinner at my favourite restaurant, not only in York, but ever in the whole wide world: Lucias. I had sun-dried tomato risotto with lemon and thyme chicken (which I would quite happily eat every day for the rest of my life!), I can’t remember what Jonny had as I was too focused on my own dinner! Afterwards they brought me a free Pina Colada (I knew wearing a birthday badge would get me something free!!- Well, you do have to get all the freebies you can as a student!), and the best way to describe that cocktail was YUM!





When I got home, Tabby was so lovely and had tidied up the living room and set my cakes on the table with my bouquet of flowers, and all my lovely Yorky York friends arrived with even more presents and cards to open!

It was the most perfect, relaxed birthday (and my tummy was more than satisfied!), it was just a shame I had an exam the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment