Tuesday 10 January 2012

The day we became dentists

A little while ago, I came home from a long day at Uni and slumped myself on Tabby's bed. She was lucky enough to have spent the whole afternoon napping! So we had a little de-brief about our day (mainly about mine as the majority of hers was spent asleep- although she did have some interesting dreams to share!), out of the corner of my eye I spotted a purple packet... full of Vimto chewy sweets!! My favourite! So, I helped myself! (Tabby wanted me to note, that these Vimto sweets were provided by one of her ex-lovers! One of many, I may add!)

We carried on chatting, whilst I was gnawing through the chewy, chewy sweet. I swallowed and swung my tongue around my teeth and mouth to make sure there was no sweet stuck anywhere (this sounds a bit vile, but I'm sure everyone does it!) My tongue then fell into a big hole in one of my teeth. I was a bit shocked and uncertain with what it was, so I had a look: half my tooth and a filling had disappeared...

I thought the sweet tasted a bit different from how they usually do, but then I thought that was just because they had been in Tabby's room for a while... And it was a bit crunchier than they have ever been! Oops! I had swallowed my tooth with filling attached amongst the delicious sugary snack!

I went into panic mode! Muma Voce was on the other end of the phone within seconds.... and within minutes Tabby was dressed (as she had been in her pyjamas sleeping all day!)

We rushed to the walk-in, emergency dentists.. which closed at half past 5. It was 5.33pm. Buggering bugger! What is the point in an 'out of hours', emergency dentist if it is going to be closed in the 'out of hours' hours of the day?! Odd.  Luckily, we spotted an emergency NHS dentist number, for emergencies, on the window. So we were stood outside in the dark and freezing cold, and dialled in the long number. "If you have an emergency press 1..." Brilliant, an automated lady, just what you need in an emergency! Proceeding pressing '1', I was asked to press about 5 more different numbers. This then lead me to an even more patronising automated lady, telling me that I need to complete a form ONLINE, for them to then phone me back, if they ever read it and judge the urgency of the situation. Well, this was ridiculous! Muma Voce had suggested a temporary filling from Boots, so we sprinted (almost, more of a speedy walk), to town!

We got to the small Boots, closest to us, which we were relying on, as the clock was ticking so we were anxious about them closing, the lights looked on, but when we got there we just realised it was the reflection of the Hog Roast shop onto the windows. Ahh!

We literally did run to the other Boots, further across town. We could see the lights on and the doors open in the horizon, but it was just minutes away from 6'o'clock... would we make it there on time?

We scampered through the doors and split up to save time! I ran to the pharmacy desk and the woman presented me with two kits! I was shocked that these temporary filling kits actually existed!!

We quickly got home and went straight upstairs to the bathroom to start the dental procedure. Tabby read out instructions and I sat on the chair, nervously. Here's the steps to your very own temporary filling, for those life/death tooth situations:

Step one: Use a cotton bud to soak up any excess moisture on the tooth in question.

Step two: Clean the tooth, using a cotton bud dipped in the yucky tasting liquid.

Step three: Scape a bit of the new filling and apply to tooth and smooth it so it's even.

The dentist said we had done a spectacular job! If the teaching business fails, we could definitely go into dentistry!

No comments:

Post a Comment